Shorts and Skirts Substitutes - Culottes

Recently, I've been trying to avoid wearing shorts and skirts. Shorts makes me feel super conscious whenever I'm seated, and sometim...

Recently, I've been trying to avoid wearing shorts and skirts. Shorts makes me feel super conscious whenever I'm seated, and sometimes, the aircon is just too cold for it. Skirts requires me to wear safety shorts inside and it can get really uncomfortable and tight after a long day in school.

The alternative I've found is culottes.

To be honest, I took a while to catch on to the culottes trend. I always thought I would look too short in it, but the first few times I wore it, I was actually surprised by a compliment from my aunt (like old, and not fashionable nor in the same generation kind) that I looked taller in it. That just blew me away, and now they are my favourite clothing in my wardrobe.

When I was still buying my first pair of culottes, I got to say, it's not really not as straightforward to find the right pair. Some has a wider cut, while others are slightly slimmer, with a straight cut. My first pair had a really wide cut, and it looked really puffy on me. I ended up selling it on carousell, and currently I only wear slimmer cuts.

I recently bought this "Melissa Straight Cut Culottes" by NINE2FIVE on Zalora. They were just $26.90! That's pretty cheap if you compare it to the prices listed on blogshops, and they fit so comfortably

Another thing to take note, is to be careful of the translucency of the material, especially when purchasing white culottes. Most of the time you have to wear a nude underwear, or even skin coloured tights. 

When wearing my culottes, I love to pair them with cropped tops, like these ones. 

From RWB, love the skirt too <3

From taobao, only SGD$10 excluding shipping and all. I wear this exact piece with my white culottes all the time 

And idk why, but the culottes goes so well with this pair of sandals that I have. I think the ankle strap really compliments the length of the culottes and brings out the ankle. I think this pair of flat would go great with the culottes too. 

left: Sandals that I own. I got it from taobao 2 years back, and it's still surviving. 
right: From Zalora, it's $29.90, definitely gonna be one of my buys in the near future. But I might just go on taobao to find a cheaper version. hehe. 


So basically, it isn't hard to wear culottes, and they are so comfortable and flattering at the same time. Emphasis really lies in the cropped top though. It doesn't have to so short that exposed the tummy, but you wouldn't want it going more than an inch over the culottes, and ends up hiding your waist.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Flickr Images