Queretaro and Korean food

Last weekend was spent at amazing Queretaro. I've got to say, I loved it more than Chiapas. Primarily because of the shorter bus rides a...

Last weekend was spent at amazing Queretaro. I've got to say, I loved it more than Chiapas. Primarily because of the shorter bus rides and the good food. Anddddd the fact that I stayed within budget. Sort of. I spent SGD$202, exceeded by $2, but ah wells.


Amazing view from Queretaro's city  

We left on Friday afternoon and reached at 9pm. I must say it was a little worrying arriving so late and unsure of where we were going to stay. We checked with around 3 hotels before finding the right one for us. It wasn't easy because there were 3 guys, and me, and rooms with 2 double beds were a no-no. Thankfully Hotel Anabi had a room with 2 queen sized beds and a couch. I eventually settled for the couch through a game of cards. (Couldn't feel the difference between the couch and the bed!)

Walking through the quiet streets of Queretaro in the morning

The path on the left took us to the most amazing bread shop. Okay, it ain't the best, but we were starving. It was like an oasis. 

The next morning took us an hour to settle on breakfast. The hunt for the perfect breakfast took us through many of the plazas in the centro, which looks so different from at night, but still equally spectacular. Eventually breakfast was SGD$0.50 bread, which were at least 1.5x bigger than Breadtalk and definitely as delicious.

Bread!!! All for $1 each. Breadtalk needs to make bread as big and cheap as these

The first (and only) stop of the day after breakfast (which was devoured at the bus terminal), was Peña de Barnel. It's such an amazing town. The bus ride there was SGD$4 and took a little less than hour. The town had a rock jutting out, forming a tiny mountain that we eventually hiked.

View halfway through the hike

Everywhere in the town sold geological rocks found from the mountain (I presume) and there was a marathon happening right when we arrived, which brought the whole town alive. It was fun to meander through the streets and grab free ice cream samples, while admiring the historic style of the hotels in the town. The hotels looked like tiny castles with flowers draping down the side of the walls and dragon sculptures adorning its sides.


Flowers adorned the buildings everywhere in this town. It's beautiful!

Streets of Pena de Barnel and the rock overlooking the town in the background

The hike up and down the mountain took a little over an hour, same goes for the walk up and down to the base of the mountain. The climb ain't easy and several parts had barely any cracks to step one. But once we are up at the peak, the view was amazing. It was cooling, the wind was blowing and we just sat and enjoyed the view while endorphins flooded our system. The climb down was much harder, but faster as well. I still can't believe I climbed the feature in sports shoes. #sketchersftw

Huge cactuses like these grow everywhere. Makes you think twice about stepping off a cliff. 

The start of the hike

View from the highest point we could climb

Lunch after the climb was at this restaurant with amazing ribs. 2 of us shared a plate each and this amounted to SGD$6.50 per person, for the best ribs I've had. The ribs was done just nice, such that the fats caramalised and I could almost taste char siew. The fatty part of the ribs also reminded me of shao rou. So worth the money.

The end of lunch marked the start of our return journey back to the main city of Queretaro as well, where our Korean hyung was waiting to bring us to the korean restaurant. I swear I ate thrice my usual meal portion. I was embarrassed I could ate so much. I love asian food ):

Just seeing this photo again now makes me salivate

Here's the wonderful hyung that brought us to korean food and this amazing view! 

This was quickly followed by a food coma, which brought us into day 2. Breakfast was a fabulous SGD$2.80 Hawaiian torta. I love my tortas. The rest of the day was spent walking around town, before meeting hyung for one last meal, and then departing.

Beautiful beautiful churches

Convent turned musuem. The detail of the pillars and throughout the building is amazing <3



This was found in the market. Those green machines need to come to Singapore. Idk how it works but it makes amazing milkshakes that goes with these churros. 



Most amazing taco combination I've had. Reminder to self to make it back in Singapore. Ingredients: Tortilla, thousand island sauce, mango sauce, dory fillet and purple cabbage. 

Where we got picked up by the cab, just underneath the aqueduct of Queretaro. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images