It's Miami baby!

Traveling around US is so different from Mexico. Some things are alot easier, and some things alot harder. Language is definitely easier, bu...

Traveling around US is so different from Mexico. Some things are alot easier, and some things alot harder. Language is definitely easier, but I kinda miss having to speak and practice Spanish. Surprisingly quite a handful of the population speaks Spanish though, so there are still some exposure. Services and getting information is alot better and easier too. Everything is organised and made available to tourists unlike that in Mexico.

But on the other hand, the public transport system sucks and the tourist attractions are all spread out. Getting around is really costly and time consuming. Everyone here gets around by car. If you don't have a car, the next best option is uber. But I'm on a budget, so the cheapest method is by bus. The bus is supposed to arrive every 20-30mins, but they are never no time, and costs USD$2.25 each ride. That is more than SGD$3 :( This feels really expensive compared to the $0.75 pesos I've been paying in Mexico. And one can never predict when the bus will come. The first time I waited almost an hour for the bus. Public transport system here sucks. Period.

Safety is another concern too. I can't believe I actually feel more threatened here than in Mexico. Especially in Miami. The locals are right when they say there are some crazy people around. I've seen more than one already and heard more than enough about drugs here in Miami. I was stuck waiting for a transfer bus at a rather empty street of downtown Miami on my first night, for more than 30 mins. There were 2 other passengers at the stop but they gave up waiting after 30 mins. Alone at the bus stop, I decided to call an Uber instead. I've never felt this unsafe in Mexico. Ever. Not even when I had to sleep at the bus station in Tulum.

Regardless, I'm still enjoying myself here in the US, especially all the art and culture in Miami. That's really my biggest takeaway in these few days here in Miami. My favourite has definitely been the Second Saturday in the Wynwood district. I went there on my first night there and it was amazing. The graffiti art, galleries, food trucks, products, and atmosphere. I really enjoyed browsing through the products on sale and how every item is carefully crafted and presented.

 Wall as a tribute to the founder of Wynwood walls 

 The floors of one of the exhibit, marbled with neon spray paint

And the actual art pieces, set against a bright contrasting wall of dripping spray paint


That actual turns neon in the dark!



 The compound is just gated by walls that are beautifully grafitti-ed by artists invited from around the world 


 There's art everywhere, even on the pavements


 The restaurant in Wynwood walls was so crowded, one needed a reservation 

 The surrounding areas are full of galleries like these, that are all open to public on this Second Saturday night too 


 And there is one whole area dedicated to craft stores,  food trucks and pop up art stores



 Check out all the food trucks selling food from around the continent 



The next day, I visited the beach and walked through the Art Deco District in the morning. I followed this route and I didn't find it that awesome to be honest. Perhaps, I really do have to take the guided tour to fully appreciate the neighbourhood. Regardless, I had so much fun browsing through the little gadgets and trinkets at Art Deco Centre souvenir shop.


 The beach is alot bigger and wider than the ones I've seen at Mexico, but it didn't feel warm enough to chill at 


 These birds are so cute. 

 I even posted a video of them on instagram ahaha

Rows of hotel along the avenue

Later in the day I decided to go to the temporary exhibit at the public library, that was making up for the closure of the BASS art museum. It was disappointedly small and, worse, I got 2 blisters from that walk. I had to walk all the way back to get blister plaster and change to my slippers. But I had the opportunity to pass by a  pretty great diner, where I had lunch (virgin diner experience!).

The afternoon was then spent in the downtown Miami. I visited the Perez Art Museum, just to see the souvenir shop and the exterior architecture. I didn't wanted to pay USD$16 to enter when there are lots more free art museum around town. The souvenir shop itself was enough to make the trip worth it though. I went to 2 more free museums and one of which is an art studio/gallery. Definitely had a great time looking through the art works of more than 40 artists and peeking into their studios.

 Perez art museum


 Miami is full of random graffitis and art lying around

 Museum that used to be an immigration center for kids that were shipped by their parents to escape communism in cuba. Wow. 

 Art studio in Wynwood area


 Parts of the work are displayed all over the corridors 

 And the coolest part of the gallery was being able to peek into the artist's lairs and see their studio


 Came by this building that's vibrantly decorated with graffitis, went around taking photos and only when I exit and went round the building, did I realise its a school. Wow. Wish my high school was this cool.





I ended the day with a quick look around target, expecting crazy low prices, but only to find that taobao remains as my cheapest source.

Throughout, I took 4 buses and lots of metrorail. So glad the metro rail is free, cos it made traveling so much easier and cheaper. I also planned to go to little havana initially, but the bus took too long to come.

The third day, I went on a day trip to Key West. I've booked my transport there and back, via this website prior to arriving. It picked me up at my hostel and the journey each way is about 3.5hours.

 I think the view of the highway to Keywest is better on google, ahaha 

Nonetheless, still felt great to cruise along a highway with the ocean right next to you 

There, a typical tourist could snorkel, parasail, see on the glass bottom boat to see the corals. But I'm on budget and I've already snorkelled and seen corals in Mexico, so I chose to just walk around town visited the stores and art galleries. There are museums too, like the Ernest Hemingway Museum, Mel fisher Museum, and the Butterfly conservatory. I got to try the famous Key Lime Pie at Blue Heaven as well. It costs a whopping USD$9.50 and it didn't turn out that great.



 The most common and famous animal of Key West! Chickens!

 Tourist trap. Tourist shopping. Tourist trap. 

 But if you really have to get a souvenir, here is cheaper than Miami.

 I have never seen this animal before o.o 



It's funny to see all these christmas decorations at a place which would never get cold for christmas, ahaha

 Beaches on Key west ain't that awesome. But at least it's loads warmer than Miami. 

 Mandatory selfie at the southern most point of US! 

Key west was probably the most tiring day in Miami. I literally walked from Mel Fisher's all the way to the southern most point, and walked back. It was exhausting. I would recommend the bike rental if anyone decides to head there. But the warmth and the quaint and welcoming atmosphere of the town was worth it. Definitely not an overly touristy place.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images