DIY Brush Lettering

I've taken alot of interest in brush lettering and typography recently and I recent bought this brush pen to develop this hobby. It wa...

I've taken alot of interest in brush lettering and typography recently and I recent bought this brush pen to develop this hobby.

It was only after my purchase, that I realised a whole plethora of pens exists for this craft:


Well, too late to regret my purchase. And to be honest, I have no idea which is the best pen/brush to start with and whether I made the right choice. But this brush from Art Friend cost me almost $8, so I better put it to good use. 


I've been scribbling as and when I'm bored/free and it feels rather therapeutic. Here are some of my scribbles! 



It ain't the best, but I think I'm doing an okay job. I've learn that there is more to brush lettering than just forming words. It's alot of putting in your own style and creating your own font. 

For now, I'm still getting familiar with the brush and practicing with tumblr quotes. It's not easy given how untidy my handwriting is in real life. But the next step would be to practice a particular font, before developing my style. I'm looking forward to integrating water painting as well! 


For those of you out there that are also starting brush lettering, you might want to try these links out! 


Searching for "brush lettering", "calligraphy" and related tags on tumblr, pinterest and instagram can help draw inspiration too. 

Do share with me your techniques and difficulties picking up this hobby, I would love to hear about them! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images