Guadalajara, flying solo!

In Mexico City, I got a taste of traveling alone, but I was still pretty sheltered, with lots of help from Paty and her family. Last last we...

In Mexico City, I got a taste of traveling alone, but I was still pretty sheltered, with lots of help from Paty and her family. Last last weekend, was the nationals for the ultimate frisbee teams in Mexico and it happened to be in Guadalajara. So I took the opportunity to extend my trip in Guadalajara, one day before and 3 days after. Guadalajara was the first time I really travelled alone. I had to plan everything, transport, accoms and itinerary alone, and I didn't know any locals in the area.

The main chapel of Guadalajara

My trip started on Thursday afternoon. A bus to CAPU, then a 2 hr bus to Mexico City TAPO, then metro to the North Bus Terminal, then a 6 hr bus to Guadalajara. I arrived on Friday morning at 5am in the morning and took an uber to the hostel. The neighbourhood was still dark and completely empty. Thankfully the driver stayed and waited, because it took 20mins for someone in the hostel to come and open the door, and it was thanks to the driver who helped make endless calls into the hostel. I wouldn't have wanted to panic, cold, and alone at the door of the hostel till 8am for someone to wake up and find me outside.

 This is likely to be the cheapest and most value for money hostel one can find in Guadalajara - Hostel de Maria. Idk why they are not listed on booking.com , but they have their own website


So eventually I settled in the hostel and enjoyed the complimentary breakfast before heading out to explore the city. For most part of the day, I was in Chapultepec, and area filled with lots of indie cafes, bookstores, organic stores and pubs.

 I first spotted these flowers in Guadalajara, but I realised that they are everywhere, even in Cholula and it's beautiful when it blooming like this 

 First stop was the Arcos de Zapopan. I would love to be driving along this street if such a beautiful arch sat in the middle of the road 

And the view from the top was fantastic too 

 The Chapultepec area was filled with lots of beautiful murals that decorated bars and shops 

 And at random occasion, one would pass by houses like this in the area too 

 This was found at the end of this garden/passage way that sat in the middle of 2 roads, serving as a garden/exhibition space for the city, isn't that a wonderful idea? Green-ify the city and make full use of space. 

 At the statue/monument was right smack in the center of the round about. 

 Chapultepec had lots of beautiful bookstores too. This one does not lose to the National Library in Singapore 

 This was a second hand english bookstore that sold vinyl as well. I spent at least 1/2 hr browsing through the books here 

The owner is an old american man who loveeeees books and spent half an hour telling me about his favourite nat geo mag from 1960s

 Next was the museum! This one featured an exhibit about the future's library collection, and the titles of the books are imagined from how books would be like in the future, which is something I never really thought about 



 This and the Arizona was lunch. This is a torta soaked with tomato sauce, it wasn't too good, but its something Guadalajara is famous for. And the Arizona was only $10 pesos, less than $1?!

And check out the beautiful neighbourhood <3 




At the later part of the afternoon, I wandered back to the zocalo area and checked out a few places before heading back to the hostel to wait for the frisbee team to arrive.

This building is part of the University, but is also a museum (?!)


 Inside they had an exhibit on lithography, a way of printing images to make art. There was a similar exhibit in Mexico City too 

The machine they use to print the images on the paper

There was also an exhibition showcasing the works of Sergio Arau, a mexican artist that paints provocative images of women and cupids with lucha libre masks, it was very interesting 



The auditorium in the building also had a huge mural that covered the stage and ceiling. I would never be able to focus if I had any of my lectures in this auditorium 



 Mexicans are really into murals. Outside the museum was this huge one. I wonder how they manage to maintain and upkeep all these paintings

 Honestly, this gothic church doesn't look like much on the outside.

But the interior colours were amazing. The stained glass had a purple theme which totally complemented the gothic style. In addition, it contrasted perfectly with the gold altars, ceiling lights, and yellow flowers. Out of all the churches I've seen in Italy and here, this is the most beautiful one, hands on. 

 A typical artist street with cafes and people painting on the sidewalk 

Christmas is more than a month away, but there are already fairs set up selling christmas decorations!

Dinner was 5 tacos for $24 pesos. Unbelievably cheap. 

The next 2 days were then spent playing with the women's team and it was so fun. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the team make improvements, changing from a cutter to a handler position, playing against other women teams and just witnessing the level of skill some of the players had. Eventually, we emerged 5th and it was great for such a young team.

Look at these glorious fields and wonderful bright sunny weather <3 Best tournament venue ever

Day one and I'm already sunburnt! 

 And the first day of the tournament ended with a magnificent sunset that coloured the skies purple and yellow

Day 2 ended with everyone watching the finals, lying on the grass and just chilling

And one of the player's mum brought too much food and started giving them out for free! Fried shrimps anyone :p

When the tournament ended on Sunday, I managed to catch a ride from one of the locals who were playing in the tournament, back into town, before checking into the new hostel. It was actually scary to check in a new hostel, it's feels kinda like first day of school all over again, meeting new people, having to assess how others are like. But on my first (and only) night, the Canadian girl in the room strike up a conversation with me and it was cool. To share about Singapore, what I'm doing, what she's doing and to learn about the lifestyle of different people in different parts of the world. Apparently, she was just traveling around and it's common for Canadians to travel for awhile after graduating, while Singaporeans just try to find a job as soon as possible. I met an old Canadian man in the hostel too. He's just wandering around Mexico, and when he doesn't have enough money, return to Canada and work (as a trishaw man of sorts), before traveling again.

The hostel was pretty cute, with lots of instructions and tips on where to travel around the area. The room came with a balcony too <3

The view from the balcony. Unfortunately we left it open in the night for the wind, and regretted in the middle of the night when we got attacked by mosquitos 



I had no intention of exploring the town after dark, but one of the teammates staying in Guadalajara for an extra day asked me out for dinner, and it was wonderful to see how different the city is at night 


On Monday, my last day in Guadalajara, I went out with the intention of visiting the museums, but they were all closed on Monday. Imagine my disappointment and regret. Had I known, I would have visited all these museums on Friday was I arrived.



The metro bus! It's weird to see the metro line running on the road along side cars 







 It's cute how they painted stripes on the dome. I saw a postcard of the same cathedral and it used to be another design instead. 

 This square was filled with sculpturers doing magic on the stone. Some could even replicate the ancient mayan inscriptions 



Tequila is really famous here in Guadalajara, but unfortunately I didn't have the time to go on a tour ): Then again, I shouldn't be drinking when I travel alone

And after my long walk around town, I eventually took an hour's bus, to the bus terminal for my next destination, Puerto Vallarta!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images