Mexico City, Part 1, Hanging with the locals

My trip to Mexico City all began when my classmate in my multivariate analysis class offered to bring me around. The first time she mentione...

My trip to Mexico City all began when my classmate in my multivariate analysis class offered to bring me around. The first time she mentioned it, I thought it was a passing remark, a promise she might grow to regret and then subsequently pretend never happened. But the next she made the same remark again and even asked when I was free. A few weeks later, I was meeting her at the school gate, ready to head to Mexico City, or otherwise commonly known among the Mexicans as D.F. (pronounced, da-ef-feh).

#CDMX the tourist board here can pretty much be represented by CDMX, they are on instagram too!

At the back of my mind I was pretty worried about having to share a room, whether my spanish is good enough for me to communicate, whether I would impose on the family, etc. But 2.5 months in Mexico have taught me to worry less and simply enjoy the moment.

We left on thursday afternoon and arrived just in time for a small family celebration for the youngest family member. It's nice to see how everyone in the family takes time out to come and all they do is eat, chat and play with the little one. Everyone has something to share/talk about and the atmosphere is just homely, which makes me miss my family a little.

These candles needs to be a tradition in Singapore. I believe I spotted Cake Spade selling them 

Her old room! And my bed for the next 3 nights

Friday started around 9am, where I had the delight of fruit juice, tea, and bread for breakfast, prepared by my dear classmate. The night before I was given her room to rest in, while she slept with her mum. I really couldn't be more thankful for the thoughtfulness she has put into making my stay comfortable.

After breakfast, we headed for the Dolores Olmedo Museum, before heading into the Zocalo. Unfortunately, the Dolores Olmedo Museum had 2 exhibits closed, and in the Zocalo, the Palacia del Correos was partly closed for their anniversary too. We were also rejected at the National Palace, because an important political figure was visiting.  We couldn't have picked a better day. But nonetheless, I got to see the City Cathedral, Supreme court, Museo Nacional del Arte and at in the House of tiles, which had truly fantastic decor. The meal was so enjoyable and I had such a great time just chatting with Paty, that we spent almost 2 hours there.

At Dolores Olmedo Museo. Spot the non-statues. These are the hairless and much treasured dogs that the Mayans used to keep. Unfortunately they are on the brink of extinction ): 


I don't get how a women in those times can get so rich to own a house this big. 

The main cathedral of CDMX.



Apparently the church is built above the pyramids and river beds, so it's slowly slowly sinking and shifting. This pendulum lets us see the movement of the church throughout the years.


The national palace! I believe an important political figure was in the area today and thus no entry was allowed ):

The Bella Artes Teatro. Isn't it beautiful?! It's so well kept inside too. But unfortunately, unless we are catching a show there, we can't explore beyond the lobby.


The National Art Musuem. This building is incredible. It has got to be my second favourite musuem after the Soumaya Musuem. 

Look at the interiors!!



Featuring the Latino Americana. It's famous because its a really tall building. But even Paty says it's really not very tall, if we were to put it in the CBD of Singapore. It's pretty old too :/

The House of Tiles! Inside, it's not a church, nor a museum, but a dining/retail chain! Love how a historical building like this one is turned into a place that can be enjoyed by everyone, especially people who hates history and museums. 




We spent almost 2 hours have lunch in here. The atmosphere was so nice, the food was decent and the price wasn't exorbitant. 


The return journey back to the house was a disaster though. We drove, took a wrong turn and got stuck in traffic for 2+ hrs. Even without the wrong turn, we would have took 2hrs regardless. It was horrible, and I really appreciate the purpose of COEs and ERPs now.

We stopped for tacos on the way back, and I got to try tacos with the pig's tongue. It didn't really taste very different from other parts of its body really. 

But the fantastic one was really this bistec con queso taco (beef with cheese). It's a little pricey at 40 pesos for 2, but it's pretty filling for a meal.  

In the end, we only arrived home around 9.30pm, where I rested before heading out again with Paty's friend, to a friend's house party. The party play old 90s mexican music and I had fun checking out how house parties work in D.F.

Unfortunately Paty had to return to Puebla on Saturday, but she was so kind to let my stay till Sunday with her mum and brother in the house. And this leads to Part 2 of my stay in Mexico City, where I had to travel alone and take the metro!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images