Meeting the locals

The last Saturday I joined the local frisbee team for a training and I forgot how much I missed Ultimate. It took forever to find a cont...

The last Saturday I joined the local frisbee team for a training and I forgot how much I missed Ultimate.


It took forever to find a contact. I actually contacted the guy who was in the Puebla men's team, but he stopped replying after one time. Subsequently I facebook messaged a team, but they were located 2 hrs away. It's insane. But thank god, they told me the name of the local female team, and I finally located them on facebook. And thank god, the contact person spoke English. A normal google search would never bring up their facebook page. Or maybe my research skills suck. 


Training was not as intense as SMU's, and the level of skill was still lacking as well. But I loved it nonetheless. It was fun to go back to basics again, and it was a much needed workout because the cold was just tensing up my muscles. I swore I almost cramped after warm up, and I have never had the slightest twitch in any activity related to Ultimate. This is how out of shape I was. Boo. 

Training ended with a scrimmage and it's interesting that the team played vert stack, with the last person getting priority cuts as well.




During the training, the drinks stall came as well. This guy needs to come to Singapore. He sells strawberry, lemon, almond and other fruit juices out of plastic bags and he carry snacks as well. Why has not drinks uncle in Singapore ever thought of selling snacks?!

The drink was only SGD$0.80. And it lasted me for half the training.

But the most amazing thing about that training was, meeting the exact same guy I traded shorts with in Lecco, Italy. He was down to coach the girls team and I happened to be wearing the shorts that day. It's crazy. I have to make him wear the shorts and take a photo with me again. 

This guy has more beard now. 

After the training, it was a mad rush back to the hostel to bathe and get changed for...a birthday party! I met Gaby in UDLAP on my first Art, History and Culture class. I asked if the class was in English and she said no. It turns out that she was wrong and she couldn't understand the class at all. The translator came into play and even though neither of us speak each other's language, we became friends!

On Saturday, she invited us over to her grandpa's birthday party. We had no idea what to expect and what to bring. In the end, we ended up bringing ice cream. They served it to the guest later on, so I guess it's a good.

But the food we had there was amazing. The family prepared Memelas O Gorditas as appetisers, followed by pasta with blended cheese, cream and bell pepper. Next came the Chiles en Nogada. This was the highlight. It was so so good, and can only be found in Puebla. Dessert was jelly in cream cheese, the birthday cake, and the ice cream we bought.

Memelas O Gorditas. It's fried tortillas topped with salsa and cheese. The base tastes like nachos.

I believe this is Mexican's version of mac and cheese 

When we arrived, most of the relatives were already there and the family were busy making the Chiles en Nogada. It was just like a factory. There were people whipping the egg white, followed by people filling the chili with the meat-fruit fillings, followed by the people covering the chili with flour and egg white, followed by the people frying the chili and placing it one side to cool. Family unity at its best.

The supply chain in action! Gaby was beating the eggs, her brother filling the chili, her sister cover the chili in flour and her mother frying the chili. 

The fried chili is served with walnut sauce and top with pomegranate. It's stuff with minced meat, nuts, and assorted fruits. The filling itself takes 2 days to make. 

This took place while the appetisers were served. When the chili was all done and served, the mexican band started playing the family members took turns to make a speech for the grandpa.

Gaby brought us into the kitchen to help with the jelly too. I think I ended up eating too many jellies though. After which we hung around with the family members and the guests and it was a great evening. It lasted from 4pm all the way till 8+pm. So thankful for the invite and opportunity to be part of the local community!

Watch the video of the band here: https://instagram.com/p/6baubJiPt_/?taken-by=melisasa

 And this is Gaby making a speech for her grandpa with the band in the background



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images